Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jumping Snowmen

I had mentioned long-lost friends coming over a while back. We had a nice time catching-up. Hopefully we'll do it again very soon. Here are a couple pictures of that night:


Before I forget, there are all sorts of funnies:

Last week Scott was breaking fast next to Ranne. Scott would occasionally jump at Ranne, growling an, "AAaahhhh!" Ranne looked thoughtful as he smiled at the silliness. The last time, as his dad jumped toward him, Ranne stuck his face in his dad's and yelled, "AAaahhhh!" Ranne then sat back, raised his eyebrows and chuckled saying, "The dinosaur surprised you."

Sunday morning, my brother and his family visited the church we are a part of. When talking with them before services, Ranne wandered down to the front where Scott, who was to lead singing, was. Services began and I headed down to retrieve him. But, Scott and he were sitting calmly on the FRONT row, as if they were going to try Ranne sitting/standing still during the worship time. I left them to it.

As I sat wrestling Toby, a friend said, "Oh look, there's Ranne. He's so cute." I looked up to see him standing on the front pew waving at his dad. He would turn around and grin to those behind him (the WHOLE church), nodding and pointing them to Scott who was leading the songs. I stood up in the back and when he saw me, I signed for him to sit facing forward. When he first noticed me there, he waved and smiled. After seeing what I wanted he obeyed immediately, but it was too late. He had attention and waves and grins going all over the section behind him. GGGGRRRRRRR. I apologized profusely to those who teased me about it later. We have a lot to work on. He is 'so cute'!

Today we were at the Thursday Free Lunch at the CSC. Various congregations put it on to 'promote' their group and feed hungry, needy college kids. There was a table surrounded by college-aged folk--as well as Scott and me. Ranne ran up hungry, so I fixed him a bowl of soup and set him down at another table with his friend Ethan. After sitting again with Scott and talking, everyone at our table heard a funny growling speech. We looked over and Ranne, with folded hands and eyes clamped shut, was growling his prayer through his dinosaur voice.

This morning after eating his first muffin, he told Scott, "The dinosaur would like another muffin." "Well,"said dad, "do you want another Ranne?" He answered, "No, just the dinosaur."

Ranne's imagination is flourishing. Snowmen in the yard are his dear friends. He tells me where they stand and how to converse with them. He tells me what's on their agenda and all of their names, well really the two of them. Ranne's eyes become huge and sparkle with belief as he pours concrete into a form (hamper) and then runs to get us hammers to nail on the lid, or when he helps "Frosty" off his rooftop perch, or rocks his baby rabbit in a basket as Jesus in a manger. He also has some puppets: a lion, bear and dog. He uses the lion often to pick-up his toys for him, etc.... He drives me crazy with wanting books read to him. It's great, but ug!

Toby runs and runs, especially now that he's feeling better. He's eating like a horse, though it takes him an hour to get through a meal. He does endearing little baby things, like blowing air out of his mouth when we wipe his nose (Scott was trying to teach him how to blow from his nostrils by puffing air in his face when wiping snot). His favorite toy is now anything out of the kitchen garbage and he really likes to put items in the small toilet after it's been used. YUCK. He still shines those eyes at people for their attention and wrinkles his nose. These pics: Toby running, Toby at his sickest with the flu, and my handsome one.


Ranne and Ethan have become very much like brothers. It seems in bible class, they compete for the ornery prize and have to be separated as well as forget all their "please"s and "thank you"s. We are putting a plan in place to fix that, but these teachers just won't share these things with us. We have to hear it from someone else! I don't want to think my child is perfect, just to train them to do as well as possible! Soapbox.

Anyway.

Scott's work is really picking up with appointments and such. He seems to really be rolling and having fun. Today an old friend came in to recruit him for a 100-mile bike ride around Albuquerque. Life is full of possibilities for him. I just try to keep my coffee from dripping from my cup and to keep the house clean. So exciting.

Friday night, the guys had their first men's study that went super well. It lasted an extra hour and was attended by many more men than have normally been coming. Please pray that the excitement continues.

The same night the woman went ice-skating at a rink in town. They were hilarious, circling the rink in a bunched-up group, giggling and dancing around. Hm. Well, they knew it was a group activity and were good about trying to have fun together. I think it was successful. If I had skated, I would have been the mean one, skating alone to see how fast I could go. Not so good.


Last Sunday was the Super Bowl Party at the CSC. One of the gals works at a flooring supply place. She lent us a large number of flats to raise the couches at the Center, making comfy risers for viewers' pleasure. A company or person, I'm not sure, loaned a VERY large flat screen for the game as well. The food was overwhelming. BTW, potato skins are a cheap and good appetizer to make.



Hm. It snowed hard the other day, leaving us with a couple inches. Scott, Ranne and Toby went out 7:30-8:30 pm to build a wonderful snowman, which explains R's sudden fascination with them. When they finished the form, I fetched a carrot for the nose. Scott handed it to Ranne and said, "Where should it go?" Ranne stuck it in "Frosty" at waist level and I literally fell over laughing. I think Scott was disgusted with my amusement of it. We took a picture, but only after Scott insisting we raise the carrot a little higher first. Toby was inside for most of this adventure as he still hates his winter coat, feeling too restricted for having fun.



Not too much to say. God bless you and protect you as you walk with Him!

3 Responses:

Sydni said...

It sounds like you have quite the dinosaur on your hands.

The carrot at the waist of the snowman made me laugh really hard. I'm so glad you got a picture! I tried to imagine it, but the picture started the laughter.

Now we've seen what your house looks like from the front! Wow. Little by little.

AND... you DID have a lot to say! So wonderful and THANKS for sharing. Oh, great Super Bowl party and ice skating pics!

DadJohnson said...

What fun living life that God has given us. It is great that you are taking nothing for granted and are enjoying your family.
I remember you and Brendan being relentless to be read to. That is a good sign that Ranne will probably read very early.
Where would we be without our imaginations? Just like when we as Christian adults try to imagine what heaven will be like. I have every confidence that we will not be able to even come close....which makes it even more exciting. Especially to know (through faith) that it is not just a story but very real.
We have really enjoyed your blogs Amanda. It helps us share in the kids and yours and Scott's lives. Thank you "Mandy Pandy, sweet as sugar candy".

Much love,

Dad and Brenda

JeremyNSunny said...

Goodness, I'm full of emotions after reading this blog and your dad's comment. :**)

All of Ranne's funnies have me rolling, and I'm with Sydni about the snowman/carrot story. OHMYGOODNESS. These THINGS!!!!! ??!

It is so exciting to hear of the great things going on in the campus ministry! I'm happy you got to participate in the skating!! OH, I would enjoy that! Thank you for sharing all your stories and pictures!