Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lists

What a better time to count blessings than now, just having had a miserable time with my wee man Tobyus.


Things I like and generally appreciate about Scott (copying Sydni with no shame what-so-ever):
  • That he loves God.
  • The way he loves our boys and LIKES to teach them. Lately he's been trying to expose Ranne to a new three syllable word every day.
  • That he is so 'himself' and everyone who sticks around long enough, adores him.
  • That he's generous toward me and others, never holding back when an opportunity to bless or serve comes along.
  • That he twists his hair into knots on his head when he's thinking hard or focused on a book.
  • That he works so hard to enable me to be home with the boys, yet doesn't try to pressure me to be.
  • That he's the best muffin/pancake/waffle man I know, making the best breakfasts ever--and is willing to don an apron.
  • That he compliments the work I do and doesn't complain when I am behind at home. Instead he helps me catch up and get back on track.
  • That he lets me get out often and never complains.
  • That he keeps his 'to do' list in a very large expandable folder.
  • That every major decision in our family is faced with scripture, prayer and strength.
  • That he makes an effort to be affectionate and is good at it.
  • That he's good at just about any activity (even birthing classes).
  • That he's terrible, and irritable, with computers.
  • That he listens to me to understand. And that when he listens to people in general, it's with compassion and encouragement.

Things that I like and generally appreciate about Ranne:

  • That his face is so open and expressive; his features are large and soft, like a calf's.
  • That he delights in adventure. We often get in the car with no purpose but explore and he likes it.
  • That he quivers and giggles with glee when a well cooked breakfast is headed for his plate.
  • That he shares his imagination with me, making the outlandish touchable for my adult brain.
  • That he speaks of himself in the third person often.
  • That he grins when his little brother tackles him. He just braces his feet so not to fall over.
  • That he asks a friend of ours shamelessly for gifts and our preacher for candy.
  • That he so wonderfully prays to God; it's very comfortable and conversational.
  • That he likes to cuddle in the rocking chair in a towel after baths.
  • That when he watches his cousin Sayler's videos, she's talking directly to him.
  • That he likes to help.
  • That when he's about to be disciplined, he tells me "Mom, you're beautiful. Yeah, your special."

Things I like and generally appreciate about Tobyus:
  • That he sparkles.
  • That he has an ornery streak.
  • That he delights over the same book, "God Made You to Love You" every night and nap time. He giggles on the laugh page, grabs his toes on the toes page and snores on the sleep page.
  • That he pokes EVERYTHING with his little pointer finger.
  • That he says, 'OOOhhhh" when he's excited and throws his arms toward the interesting thing.
  • That he'll chase down dogs and other interesting and moving objects.
  • That his first word was amen and now he says, "Plee (ase), foo (d), dre (drink)" in his pleasant little voice.
  • That he cuddles.
  • That he already sticks out his chest and struts when he's proud about doing something good.
The lists could go on and on! Thanks Sydni.

So, the other day, Ranne ate his whole plate of food on his own. He SHOVELED broccoli down by the forkful. My jaw dropped and I promised to blog the event. Dinner was baked chicken pieces (usually dreaded), broccoli and potatoes.

I was looking at pictures of my cousin Rhianna's wedding. Her husband washed her feet during the ceremony. Ranne saw this and exclaimed, "Just like Jesus!".

During his birthday party, right as everyone had gathered to sing the birthday song, he said, "Sing it LOUD!". Then when it was over he said, "Thank you for the song and candles!"

I'm not done here. I'll edit it more later, add some pictures and fill you all in on our daily grind.



2 Responses:

Sydni said...

I'm really glad you're not through. :) GREAT lists and great boys you have!!!

I of course, look forward to the pictures.

THANKS for blogging!!!

DadJohnson said...

Sigh.....

"When upon life's billows, you are tempest tossed. When you are discouraged thinking all is lost. Count your many blessings, name them one by one. Then it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

Although I can not envision you being surprised about God's blessings. Just needing to remind yourself at times. Thank you for sharing your blessings and keen observations.

This is not a new you by the way. So many times when we were sitting on the shoreline of a water hole somewhere trying to catch fish, I could see those big blue eyes staring way off into space "seeing" things not visible and your mouth running on about deep thoughts that went beyond the scope or understanding of kids your age. I was always amazed at your dedication to do what is right before God. Not to work your way into His arms of grace but simply because you loved God's ways and wanted everyone you knew to find a way to do the same. How frustrated you became when they would not listen and even distance themselves from your keen observations. It sure kept me on my Dad toes for sure! Keep counting those blessings.

Love to you and all you hold dear,

Dad