Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Old, but Quick

Heehehe.

Some spontaneous errands were run today after Scott so generously watched the boys so I could jog before breakfast. The wind is strong again, so it was good to get out before it picked-up.

When leaving our neighborhood in the car with the boys and waiting to get on the main street, I was very slow pull into traffic, letting several opportunities go by. After mumbling that the car behind me must think some granny was getting out on the town and taking forever, Ranne said, "Well, you are old Mama." Nice. Thanks so much. He then continued to ask questions like, "Why are you so old Mama?"

After a trip to the produce store, Sunflower Market, the boys and I visited a second-hand children and women's clothing store to look for Ranne some sandals. We found shorts, no shoes, and waited at the register for the woman to ring us up. Ranne stood on the side of the cart while Toby sat in the basket with his little arm folded through and around the top wiring. As I saw the whole cart tip over on top of Ranne, I quickly snatched it, just keeping Ranne from being pinned underneath. Ranne cowered underneath and Toby's left arm was being twisted and caught under his weight falling against the cart. Both were screaming at the top of their lungs. It was really quite hilarious because both were looking at each other like, "What do we do?!" The neat part was both know we discourage any fussing unless major pain is being experienced. After they were righted and dusted off, both were fine and calmed almost immediately. Everyone around us seemed quite impressed with their fearful attitudes' quick readjustment to safety and silliness. Very fun.

We played catch after lunch and had an awesome quiet time, 25-minutes of both sitting PERFECTLY quiet to play with small toys (Toby) and look at books (Ranne). They're so capable and smart.

2 Responses:

Sydni said...

If you're old, then I'm for SURE old! Rats. Good reflexes mama!

Sounds to me like wonderful training occured today - as always.

Much love.

JeremyNSunny said...

Great stories!! Thank you for posting them. "Old" comments are sssso funny to me. I'm thankful that I'm not hyper-sensitive about my age; it allows for lots of fun moments.

Do you find, as I do, particularly fascinating the variety of moments in which it turns out to be particularly noticeable and wonderful to have trained children? We had one tonight, with four children ages 9-4 jumping on a trampoline together. Justus got his chin smacked, and for the first few seconds he was screaming the "scared" scream. We were right there, and were able to snatch him through the safety net into a hug (all of which took maybe 15 seconds), and I told him to cry quietly, and he did. Immediately. It was so lovely that we were able to quickly fade into the background of the party at that point. He realized he wasn't hurt as badly as he thought, so I sent him to the bathroom to put some cool water on his chin, and he skipped off and I went back to the bean bag toss game we were playing. (blink, blinik) SO SIMPLE, this common moment that would not have been so simple if not for the training. AWESOME.

At any rate, it was great to read something from your heart again. Thank you for posting!! It has been an emotionally difficult week for me, but I think this coming week will be our return to normalcy and I will be back to blogging. :) Hugs all 'round.