Sunday, August 22, 2010

Beginnings

Our room!


We've been blessed by such generosity! This year the curriculum used has come from a brother and sister-in-Christ, the Means family. They ordered SonLight for their daughter last year and are not using it any further. They are allowing us the use of whatever consumables are left and are loaning the books. So far the studies take from 9am-12pm with an additional 20-minutes in the evening. The math manipulatives are from our friends the Paces, I've been using puzzles for Toby from the Foldings, maps from the Frees, the table from our neighbors the Gangwares and Mr. Rhodes. We are truly blessed and humbled!

I'm using our shower curtain for our map. Another friend of ours is using a bed spread in much the same way but hers looks much classier. Eh, we can write on ours with dry-erase markers which will be fun when the time comes.

I considered taking a 'first day of school' picture with all you other parents out there but having Ranne wear his PJs. It was just to be funny and no point to be made but the idea made Scott mad. Ah well. So, I took none. Maybe tomorrow, if I can find the camera.
I have such eclectic feelings. It is fun to teach him. He's smart and is enjoying it all so far. Yet, I enjoyed Kindergarten so much that I feel a little sad too. There is no grade like that one. It's so unique and innocent and fun. Well, it can be so at home too. We're still doing Tues. School and of course church meetings, so he's with others in a learning environment three days out of the week. We intend to find more opportunities too.

2 Responses:

Sydni said...

That looks and sounds wonderful! How clever and smart to use the shower curtain for the map - perfect.

DadJohnson said...

What a neat school environment! I also noticed when I was there that you placed placards labeled with north, south, east and west on the 4 walls. I can tell you are thinking ahead. Nice job Amanda!